Today I will share with you the next block in this Little Lady’s quilt. We are adding butterflies to this quilt, and I think it’s going to be super cute.
So let’s just get to it.
(For each butterfly)
- 2- 2 1/2″ x 2 1/2″ fabric A for wings
- 2- 2 1/2″ x 2 1/2″ fabric B for wings
- 1″ x 2 1/2″ fabric C for body
- 8- 1 1/2″ x 1 1/2″ white fabric
- 2- 1″ x 1 1/2″ white fabric
Take the 1 1/2″ white squares and draw a diagonal line a tossed each one. You are then going to lay them on opposite corners on each of the fabric A and fabric B squares. Like so:
Sew along each of the penciled line.
Cut 1/4″ on the outside of each of the sewn line.
Press toward the white and trim to 2 1/2″ x 2 1/2″.
Next is the body. Take the 1″ x 1 1/2″ white and sew to fabric C and put the other 1″ x 1 1/2″ white on the other side. Press toward fabric C. Now it’s time to sew it all together. Sew a fabric A square to a fabric B square. Repeat on other side. Press.
Then connect both wings to the body strip. Press towards body strip.
Trim to 4 1/2″ x 5″. ( It is wider than tall. If you want to make it square, you can trim it down to 4 1/2″ x 4 1/2″.
Now I want to show you all the options you can do. You can do each side matching, top to bottom matching, or even do something wonky and do diagonals matching.
In this quilt I made 24 of these. They’re going to go around the center piece. If you want to save time on the body strip you can cut:
- 2 1/2″ x 24″ fabric C
- 2- 1 1/2″ x 24″ white fabric
Sew them together in strips, press toward fabric C. And then cut into 1″ pieces. (Hope that makes sense.)
Now go make a bunch of beautiful butterflies and I’ll show you how I bring the whole quilt together.
Supplies I Used to Complete This Project
- Riley Blake Happy Day Layer Cake
- Robert Kaufman Kona Cotton Snow Fabric by The Yard
- Aurifil Cotton Thread White
- Fiskars Self Healing Rotary Cutting Mat, 24×36 Inch
- Fiskars Comfort Loop Rotary Cutter, 45 mm
- Omnigrid Ruler Value Pack 2, Package of Four
- Janome 2030QDC-B Computerized Quilting and Sewing Machine with Bonus Quilt Kit
This post contains affiliate links. This means that I may receive a small commission (at no cost to you) if you purchase something through the links provided in this post. The Ashley Tomlinson is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.